History

The Village at Luther Square History

We are proud to have served the Erie community for more than a century. We look forward to continuing our commitment to serving the elderly in this region for years to come, and to improving our facility, processes and procedures. 

1906 – Founded

March 1: Rev. Gustave A. Benze founded The Lutheran Home for the Aged on March 1, 1906 to commemorate his 50th anniversary as Pastor of St. John’s.  The former Old Ladies Home was acquired at a cost of $2,500 and moved to its present location. Today the Village at Luther Square provides a full range of Medical and Rehabilitation services to care for our residents. Planned activities keep our residents in on-going programs throughout their stay. A number of house services are provided to make necessary practical daily tasks more convenient and trouble-free for residents and family.

June 3: Formally Opened as the Lutheran Home for the Aged

 

Vals history outside2
VALS Home for the Aged

1908

Second Addition

1926

First Fire Proof Structure Built 

Vals History outside3
VALS Sr. Elizabeth

1948

Second Fire Proof Structure Built

1956 

Chapel Added, Resident Rooms Added, Dining and Recreation Rooms Enlarged 

img104
VALS2nd Floor Sunroom in the 40s

1974

West Wing Porches to Day Rooms Enclosed

1976

Complete Renovation of West Wing from Residential to Skilled Nursing

The Judys on the Front Porch on Sassafras Street
VALS logo

2002

Changed Name to The Village at Luther Square

 

2003

Wellness Center Completed 

wellness room
ribbon cutting

2011

Ribbon cutting ceremony celebrating over $1.8 mil in renovations and modernization.

Village at Luther Square

149 West 22nd St. 
Erie, PA 16502